A GEORGE V SILVER THREE-HANDLED TROPHY CUP, ADIE BROTHERS LTD., BIRMINGHAM, 1931
knopped circular foot, the otherwise plain ovoid body inscribed on one side between three handles terminating in Art Deco motifs
30.7cm high, 1574gr (50oz)
The inscription reads: 'Presented to W.N. Blake by The Cinema Veterans Dec. 7th 1931.'
'''The Cinema Veterans'', the men who were the pioneers of the cinematograph in Great Britain and who now number not more than one hundred and sixty, meeting this week at the Holborn Restaurant, London, used the occasion to present to their retiring Hon. Secretary, Mr. W.N. Blake, of Bedford, a very handsome solid silver loving cup, a silver tea service, and an illuminated address, in recognition of his services since the inception of their organization.' (The Bedfordshire Times and Independent, Bedford, 11 December 1931, p.9)
William Norman Blake (1870/71-1932), a native of Bedford and originally a photographer, became manager of the town's Empire Cinema. In 1924 he was a founder member and first chairman of The Cinema Veterans (1903), which he and Sir William Jury and Arthur Cunningham, all senior members of the British Film Industry, had established following the death in 1921 of William Friese Green. The latter, an inventor and pioneer British film-maker, had died in abject poverty and through The Cinema Veterans it was Blake and his associates' intention that nobody connected with the industry should die in such circumstances again.
Provenance: The Cinema and Television Benevolent Fund (see lots 292, 293, 344, 392-395 for further items with the same provenance.)
£300 - 500 Click here for details of BP and other fees payable on this lot.